I’ve been working on increasing my post-workout carb intake lately (yes, it was too low for the volume and intensity of CrossFit I’ve been doing). Those of you on strict Paleo may not ever eat tapioca, but it’s actually a great source of starch. Frankly, a girl can only eat so many sweet potatoes if you know what I mean.
If you want it sweetened a bit, you could add dates softened with boiling water and pureed, maple syrup, honey, etc. but I like mine on the plain side. Remember, for me this isn’t really about dessert.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 5 min Makes: 2 cups
- 2.5 Tbsp dry tapioca pearls
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 egg, separated into white and yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the tapioca and water. Let it sit and soften without heating for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whip the egg white until it forms soft peaks. If you are sweetening the tapioca, you can add it to the egg whites when you whip them. Set aside.
- Turn the heat on medium-low. Add the coconut milk and egg yolk to the softened tapioca and whisk well. Continue to whisk/stir until the tapioca thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the vanilla. Fold the hot tapioca into the beaten egg white.
- Eat warm or refrigerate.