Today is the 5th anniversary of my 29th birthday, so I’m kicking up my heels a bit with this Paleo version of a classic favorite. Now, before you go all, “But what about your philosophy of not Paleo-ifying treats?!” rebuttal, let me assure you: this one is completely sugar free and is meant to be a treat, not your everyday drink of choice. If you don’t like the idea of adding the spices, you can leave them out and certainly, if you have homemade almond milk or something else yummy kicking around, you can substitute that instead. This one’s pretty rich and is meant to be sipped and savored.
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 5 min Makes: 1 serving
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream for topping
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water, cocoa powder, cinnamon and chili powder. Whisk over medium-low heat until the ingredients combine and the cocoa is heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of chili powder or cinnamon.