A couple weeks back, I made a pretty tasty Apricot Ginger Applesauce, and it inspired me to make another variation on this classic favorite. When I was buying the apples, the cashier asked me what I was going to do with them. When I said I would be making applesauce, he told me about how his mother used to make cinnamon applesauce using Red Hot candies. That’s the first I’d ever heard of that! You could substitute any berries you like – blueberries would go really well and perhaps strawberries if you leave out the cinnamon.
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 30 min Makes: 4 cups
- 3 pounds (~1.5 kg) apples
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional
- Peel and chop the apples into large chunks. Put apples into a medium-sized pot.
- Add the cinnamon stick and about 1/2 cup of water.
- Heat the apples, loosely covered, on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the blackberries and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Place the fruit into a food processor, add ground cinnamon, and blend to desired consistency.