I’ll be the first one to admit, I don’t watch football and I’m not going to any Super Bowl parties (I probably just lost some faithful readers with that admission). I will, however, make it all up to you with a super-simple appetizer bite with everyone’s FAVORITE food: bacon! That’s right, I can sense I’m forgiven already. These little morsels of goodness were inspired by my friend Stacy who brought bacon-wrapped pineapple to a brunch last weekend. Immediately I started dreaming about making something that tasted like Hawaiian pizza on a skewer and these came into being. Genius!
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 25 min Makes: 18-24 pieces
- 1/2 of a fresh pineapple
- 6-8 mini bell peppers (or 1-2 medium bell peppers – red, yellow or orange are sweetest)
- 6 slices of bacon (I like Applegate Farms or Nieman Ranch)
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Peel and core the pineapple. Cut into moderately-sized chunks (take half the pineapple and cut it into quarters, then chunk).
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds. Cut the peppers into pieces that are roughly the same size as the pineapple chunks.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise to get 4 strips (or you could wrap half a piece of bacon around if you prefer a meatier bite).
- Wrap the bacon around (ends at the bottom) and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange the yummy bacon morsels on the baking sheet and dust with smoked paprika.
- Bake for 25 min or until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are softened.