White potatoes have been making their way onto my menu more recently as a post-workout (PWO) carb replacement. I know…Paleo purists are probably somewhat horrified right now, but the fact remains that potatoes of all kinds contain glucose which is preferable to fructose (the sugar found in fruit) for muscle glycogen replenishment. While white potatoes have a higher glycemic index than yams, they also have more micronutrients like magnesium and potassium. These are super tasty and very simple to make. Pop in a huge batch when you do your big food prep for the week and take them with you for PWO.
2 lbs (1 kg) miniature new potatoes
3 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp butter
1-2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the potatoes whole until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400F (about 200C). Line a sheet pan with foil.
3. Chop the rosemary and garlic finely.
4. Slice the potatoes in half-lengthwise.
5. Mix all the ingredients together on the baking sheet and toss. Roast for 20 minutes (stir once about halfway through) until golden brown.