This pudding is an adaptation of an earlier recipe I posted for Coconut Chia Seed Pudding. I was in the mood for a holiday treat the other day and thought “eggnog”…but then I thought how quickly drinking it down would be over and decided to make the eggnog but add chia seeds to thicken it (I also omitted the booze but hey, if you want to add it, go ahead…you’re the captain of the ship after all). The result was thick and creamy with just a tiny hint of sweetness. I used coconut milk instead of dairy but you could certainly use heavy cream or milk if that’s your preference.
You can make this the old fashioned way (temper the eggs, etc) but I just made it stupid-easy by dumping most of the ingredients in the blender and then heating it gently on the stove until it thickened. The quantities can be easily doubled / tripled or more if you want to make a larger batch.
4 small dates (or 2 large)
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp chia seeds
1. Place the dates in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 15-20 min to soften. Drain the water.
2. Add the dates, coconut milk, egg yolks and vanilla extract to the blender.
3. Blend on high speed until the dates are broken down (about a minute).
4. Pour mixture into a heavy-bottomed pot and heat on low, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens…this should only take a few minutes. Be careful! You don’t want it to curdle.
5. Turn off the heat and add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Pour the eggnog mixture into a storage container (I like mason jars or other glass-lock type containers). Sprinkle the chia seeds into the eggnog and mix very well. If you pour them in without mixing, they’ll clump up.
7. Allow to sit for at least an hour, preferably 2 or more, before eating. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon or nutmeg before serving.